Over the last 25 years Clarke Jeffers have advised some of the leading sports people in the country from top amateurs to Olympians to professional international players. The firm has also represented both local and national sports clubs and organisations.
Both partners have both represented Ireland in equestrian sports, with Victor receiving a sports scholarship to South America in 1993 and William winning a world under 21 three day eventing gold medal. It is this mix of legal knowledge and actual understanding of the sports person’s mind that sets the firm apart in terms of the service it can offer. We understand that top sports people have to concentrate on their chosen field and therefore need people they can trust.
The firm also has extensive expertise and experience in acting for sporting clubs and organisations, both on a local and national level. We provide solid advice and strong representation to ensure that clubs and societies operate within the law while still dealing with and resolving issues.
Modern sport in general, be it amateur or professional, club or organisation, is more under scrutiny than ever before. With the advent of social media, issues are publicised on an even wider, faster and more damaging scale. The firm also specialises in Internet Law to ensure its sports clients have a full and complete representation.
The firm specialises in sports mediation to assist in all types of disputes or disciplinary matters. An expert understanding of the law combined with a strong working knowledge of sport can be utilised to bring such difficulties or disputes to a satisfactory conclusion in a private and confidential manner between the parties.
Specialist areas include:
• Formation and structure planning
• Club funding
• Drafting club rules and constitution
• Charitable tax status applications
• Disciplinary procedures and representation
• Governance and compliance
• Employment contracts
• Gaming and lotteries licensing
• Sponsorship agreements
• Capital grant applications
• Health & Safety Issues (including personal injuries, third party claims, civil liability and duties of coaches & staff)
• Child protection (ethics and code of conduct)
• Advice on Child First Bill 2012
• Contract negotiations
• Sponsorship agreements
• Intellectual property rights
• Exclusivity agreements
• Disciplinary representation
• Advice on Anti doping rules (IADR)
• IADR infraction representation
• IADR appeals
• WADA prohibited substances
• Therapeutic use exemption applications (defences)
• Court of arbitration for sport (CAS) representation
• Match / race fixing representation and defence
• Product endorsements
• Naming rights
• Sports injury compensation
• Online personality protection
• Online / twitter and social media defamation
• Anti corruption and sports betting
• Arbitration and conflict resolution
Clarke Jeffers specialise in alternative dispute resolution and in particular in sports mediation.